- Why did Habitaware make this bracelet?
Habitaware made this out of a desire to solve co-founder Aneela’s problem with hair pulling. After seeing first-hand how helpful the first prototypes were to Aneela, and how dramatic her success was, they knew they could help others if they refined the solution. After much research, many conversations with doctors and consumers, and iterations of prototype after prototype, Keen was finally ready.
- What types of behaviours can Keen help me with?
Keen is designed to help you become aware of subconscious behaviours that are physical movements of the hands, repetitive and focused on the body. These include, but are not limited to: hair pulling, nail biting, skin picking and thumb sucking.
Keen generally works best with behaviours related to hand motions near the head, face, and legs. We have also had some customers successfully use it for picking of the hands and arms, though a user may find greater false alarms with these areas of the body. If you are unsure if Keen can be used for your behaviour, just send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Who is Keen For? What ages?
Keen is for kids (ages 5+) and adults that are ready to change. You have to bring the willingness, Keen provides the awareness. With these two key ingredients you have the power to take control of your subconscious body-focused repetitive behaviour. We encourage parents to talk with their kids to ensure they are ready for change before ordering.
- Does Keen prevent me from doing my subconscious behaviour?
No, Keen does not prevent the subconscious behaviour from happening. It brings awareness to where your hands are, so that you can choose healthier alternatives. Once you have committed to changing your behaviour, Keen can be a powerful tool that helps you succeed in the long-term.
- What evidence do you have that this type of awareness bracelet works?
In addition to witnessing Aneela’s success, Habitaware has researched the power of awareness thoroughly. While Keen represents a new technology, the idea for this type of bracelet in academic research is not new. Awareness underpins the current gold standard technique in behaviour change, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, and the Keen bracelet enables and increases that awareness. Researchers at the University of Michigan have published a paper confirming awareness-enhancing devices work for behaviour change. Habitaware is simply the first one to make it a reality. Finally, Habitaware has utilised expert medical advisors, Dr. Carol Novak and Dr. Varsha Reddy, who, after treating hundreds of patients with related behaviours, deeply believe in the solution.
- How does Keen work? How is it specific to me?
After you take Keen out of the box, you train it with our app one time by performing your specific behaviour for 15 seconds. For example, for nail biting, you train Keen by actually biting your nails. If you typically play with a patch of hair before pulling, you train Keen by playing with the hair. Keen’s sophisticated motion sensors record the repetitive way you do the behaviour, and thereafter silently monitors your hand. Once recorded, Keen simply makes you aware with a gentle vibration when you do the behaviour.
- Will Keen shock me?
No, Keen brings you into awareness with a vibration every time you perform your specific behaviour. Expert psychologists confirm that there’s a reason scientists stopped advocating for electric shock decades ago. The best way to change behaviour sustainably and in a healthy way is through awareness and making a conscious choice.
- Do I need two Keen smart bracelets?
Some people do certain behaviours with a dominant hand, and if you are one of them a single band will work fine. If you use both your left and right hand to engage in the behaviour you want to stop, then we recommend ordering a set of two Keen bands, one for each hand. This will help you retrain each hand away from the subconscious behaviour. We offer multiple styles to ensure Keen blends in.
- Can Keen learn multiple Areas? Can I retrain the bracelet for a different behaviour after I’ve trained it?
Yes, Keen can learn up to 4 behaviours, and you can modify or delete these trained behaviours at any time.
- How do I train Keen? Do I need a smart device?
For initial training of the bracelet, you will need to download our free Keen app and access it on one of the following smart devices:
- iPhone 5 or later running iOS 9.3 or later
- iPod Touch 5th gen or later running iOS 9.3 or later
- iPad 4 or later running iOS 9.3 or later
- Most recent Android models (2014 or later) supporting Bluetooth 4.0 and running KitKat (4.4) or later. NOTE that this list may change as we continue our quality and compatibility testing, but we have confirmed the following devices are compatible:
- Google Nexus 6P, Google Nexus 5X
- Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3
- HTC One M8 and HTC One M7
- Moto X – models 2014 or later
- We are adding more devices as we continue testing. If your device is not listed, please contact us (email@example.com) to double-check.
After that, a constant Bluetooth connection is not required. For example, a parent can help a child calibrate the Keen band with the parent’s smartphone, but the child does not need to keep the smartphone near her. When Keen and the smartphone come back in range of each other, you will be able to sync data from the bracelet to the Keen app to access the insights from the app.
- How accurate is it? I bite my nails – is Keen going to vibrate every time I drink a glass of water?
While false positives are impossible to eliminate completely, we have been working to reduce them! We have a sophisticated motion capture algorithm and will continue to refine it based on our users’ feedback. In general, you may get some errant vibrations, but with most behaviors, it should not go off every time you raise your hand to your face to eat or drink.
There are settings to adjust for the preference of the user. For instance you can select less reminders if you do the behavior in a specific way, or more if you want to be notified whenever the hand is in the danger area. Psychologists tell us that even unnecessary reminders for benign behavior help increase awareness of hand position, which is helpful for long-term behavior change.
- Can Keen help me while I drive?
The acceleration in a vehicle might throw the gesture detection off slightly. For most, it should work fine, and the settings can help fine tune the detections. We can certainly tell you if your hand is raised near your head in a vehicle.
- Can Keen help me while I sleep?
We have not tested Keen during sleep, and do not believe it will be helpful for most people in their sleep. If you lie in the same position and do the behaviour the same way, Keen will reliably give you vibration reminders. If you change your sleeping position quite a bit, as many people do, Keen will not be able to reliably give you accurate vibration reminders.
- What are my colour options?
At this time, we offer the Sporty version in black and teal and the Stylish version with a brown leather band. We will look at adding additional colours in the future – please let us know what you’d like to see!
- How do I charge Keen? How long does the battery last?
Keen is shipped with a standard micro-USB charging cable and it takes 2 hours to charge. Keen lasts a full day, so make charging Keen a habit!
- Is Keen waterproof?
No, but Keen is splash proof. This means you shouldn’t shower or swim with it or submerge it in water in any way.
- What is the warranty for Keen Bracelet?
Keen has a 6 month warranty.