- What is the benefit of using ValedoMotion compared to standard back pain therapy?
There are may benefits for both the physiotherapist and the patient.
a. Increased patient Motivation and therefore increased compliance with and intensity of exercise therapy.
- An extensive library of clinically validated movement exercises has been designed by therapists, movement scientists and medical doctors to train therapeutically important movements.
- The exercises can be tailored according to the patients’ abilities and therapy goals. The exercises are fun and will increase your patients’ motivation for therapy.
b. Real-time feedback
- The high precision motion sensors capture even the smallest movements to allow for a real-time feedback visualisation on screen.
- The visualisations will help your patients understand the movement tasks better and immediately adapt their performance to improve their movements and movement patterns.
c. Objective Assessments
- Precise and repeatable assessments enable a standardised, objective analysis of movement performance parameters such as range of motion, reposition ability, smoothness of movement, isolation capacity and lumbar stability. Documenting your patients’ therapy progress facilitates optimal therapy planning.
d. Electronic record keeping
- All patients exercise details, assessments and progress is stored on the database included with valedo motion. Graphs and charts showing patient progress can be printed or simply displayed on screen aiding patient understanding of the therapy, progress and motivating them to exercise.
e. Patient can train under limited supervision
- The patient is guided through the therapeutic exercises by playing the games – if the patient is performing a movement incorrectly they will receive feedback instantaneously via the realtime feedback and be prompted correct. The physiotherapist can program which games the patient will play for any given session. During the games data is collected which can be analysed and progress assessed.
- What is the cost of ValedoMotion?
Please contact us (email@example.com) for questions and costing.
- What is required for installation and training to use the ValedoMotion?
All you require is a computer or laptop to run the software. See other FAQ for computer system requirements.
Everything else is provided with the purchase of Valedo Motion. In the box you are provided with the 3 Valedo Motion sensors, Bluetooth dongle, USB stick, cable for firmware’s updates, charging cable, Valedo Motion case for transport and double-sided medical tape.
A quick reference guide and user manual is provided. Also included is an Exercise and Assessment supplement (the Valedo Motion software offers Assessments and Exercises that are designed to test and train patients’ range of motion, movement control, coordination and awareness) which takes you through the purpose/therapy goal, movement (e.g. Trunk flexion/extension, pelvis sagittal tilt etc), training position (e.g. standing, sitting or four point kneeling), scoring and difficulty levels for each one.
If there are any questions we are always available to answer them via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What are the system (computer) requirements to use ValedoMotion?
To make sure ValedoMotion runs on your personal computer, download and run the ValedoMotion Performance Test. Therefore, please follow the steps below:
- Click here to download.
- Go to your downloads folder.
- Unzip the file “performance_test.zip”.
- Double click the Hocoma.PerformanceTest.exe to begin.
- Note: this application will go to full-screen and run for 30 seconds. To exit the application press Escape (esc).
- View your results.
- Click “Exit”.
Please note that a computing device is required to complete the system. The computing device is not included in the medical device and needs to be provided by the user. The computing device must be IEC 60950 compliant and fulfill the following minimum Hardware and Software requirements
- Operating System: 64-bit Microsoft Windows 7 (SP1)
- Processor Type: min. Intel Core i5 2.0GHz or better
- Memory: min 8 GB RAM DDR3
- Graphic Card: nVidia GeForce 840M / nVidia GT 740M / GeForce GTX 850M or similar; only onboard graphic chip insufficient
- DirectX: Microsoft® Direct3D 10
- USB port is required for the Bluetooth dongle
- VGA and HDMI optional for external screen connection only
We have experienced occasional difficulties with some Samsung notebooks. Please contact us if you consider buying a Samsung notebook.
- Is the ValedoMotion a medical device?
ValedoMotion is a medical device registered on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG) – ARTG identifier: 286057.
- What are the indications for using ValedoMotion?
- Non-specific lower back pain.
- Stability deficits with trunk and spinal musculature.
- Mobility deficits of spinal column and pelvic girdle.
- Body balance and posture deficits.
ValedoMotion can be used with patients with the following conditions, but only in consultation and under supervision of the medical expert.
- Problems with the sacroiliac joint (e.g. pelvic girdle pain, blocking)
- Fibromyalgia (persistent, widespread pain and tenderness, generally presents with symptoms of sleep problems, fatigue, joint stiffness, among others)
- Benign hyper-mobility syndrome (joint or limb pain with attendant symptoms of joint subluxation, joint dislocation, among others)
- Neurological conditions (e.g. stroke patients) less than three months after last incidence
- Neurological conditions (e.g. stroke patients) requiring improved trunk stability and body perception (with little or no apraxia (inability to execute learned purposeful movements))
- Herniated disk, including post-operative state
- Spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal), including post-operative state
- Stable vertebral fractures
- Ankylosing spondylitis (type of arthritis that may lead to stiffness or fusion of the vertebrae in the spine) with painful limitation of spinal movement
- Osteoporosis (decrease in bone mass) (light or middling level) with accompanying pain
- Multiple Sclerosis (central nervous system disease) (non-progressive stage) with disturbed body perception
- Parkinson’s disease (progressive nervous system disorder) with disturbed body balance and posture.
- What are the contra indications to using ValedoMotion?
Functional training with ValedoMotion is not possible or indicated in every case. In general, ValedoMotion must not be used in the following cases to avoid causing any harm. The following contraindications must therefore be observed, in particular:
- Bone cancer, including spinal tumors or vertebral metastasis
- Instability of the spine, such as unstable vertebral fractures or in spondylolisthesis (forward displacement of a vertebra) (grade II or higher), particularly with neurological signs
- Acute rheumatoid arthritis or acute spondyloarthritis (acute inflammation of bones or joints)
- Infection of bones or joints
- Acute sacral, lumbar or thoracic nerve root entrapments leading to sensorimotor function deficits
- Severe level of osteoporosis (decrease in bone mass) or osteomalacia (bone softening) with latent risk of fracture
- Severe neurological disability, including compression of the spinal cord or cauda equine (bundle of nerves in the lower back), nerve root compression, etc.
- Recent serious accidents (e.g. whiplash, spinal contusion) without prior consultation with a medical expert
- Implanted ferromagnetic materials or active devices within the body
- Spinal fusions within the first three months postoperative
- Skin disease or lesions in the vicinity of sensor placement (including cut or broken skin, eczema, etc.)
- Patients who have been subjected to long-term bed rest
- Having an implanted pacemaker.
The above list does not claim to be exhaustive. For ValedoMotion, the decision as to whether a patient is suitable for therapy always lies within the competence of the medical expert in charge, who has sole medical responsibility for the treatment. As part of this, the medical expert is required to evaluate the possible risks and adverse effects of the treatment against the potential benefits in each individual case. It is the duty of the medical expert in charge of using the medical device to adapt the therapy sessions and the course of the therapy to the patient’s abilities and best possible solution.
- What are the Risk Factors for using ValedoMotion?
In addition to the above list of contraindications, there are several risk factors, which do not have to exclude a patient from training with ValedoMotion, but require a thorough evaluation of possible risks and adverse effects of the therapy against the potential benefits.
ValedoMotion is not meant to replace the expertise or experience of the medical expert.
Please observe the following risk factors.
- Spondylolisthesis (forward displacement of a vertebra) (grade I without neurological signs)
- Acute spinal disc hernia (e.g. disc herniation) without nerve compression
- Severe cardiovascular or cerebrovascular event, like a myocardial infarction (heart attack), aortic aneurysm (enlargement of the aorta) or stroke, within three months of last incidence
- Severe balance deficits with increased fall risk
- Cognitive deficits which prevent comprehension of exercises
- Epileptic seizure within the past two years which are not controlled medically, or photosensitivity
- Retinal disease which may be exacerbated by watching video games
- What is the warranty for ValedoMotion?
We offer 1 year warranty for ValedoMotion. As ValedoMotion is a professional device it is not included in the 30 day money back guarantee.
- Who is Hocoma?
Hocoma is a Swiss company who are the global market leader for the development, manufacturing and marketing of robotic and sensor-based devices for functional movement therapy. Check out there website.
- What is the evidence that ValedoMotion works?
”When compared to the optoelectronic system, the IMU-system is valid for estimates of trunk movement in the primary movement direction.”
Motivating and Fun
”Patients found the exercises credible and remained motivated for the full duration of the treatment.”
”Sensor-based postural feedback seems more effective to learn a motor control task compared to mirror-feedback or no feedback.”
For more research studies please visit Hocoma’s website.
- What are the technical specifications of ValedoMotion?
Technical specifications: Sensors General
Dimensions (L × W × H)
42 mm × 32 mm × 16 mm (1.65 in × 1.26 in x 0.6 in)
18 grams (each)
Expected service life
Min. 300 recharge cycles
Integrated Recharging Solution (polymer Li-ion battery, 3.7V, 160mAh)
Replacing the battery is not permitted.
Wireless Transmission Frequency
2.4 GHz band (Bluetooth Low Energy)
Radiated Output Power
Max. 1 mW
Max. 2,000 degrees per second
Max. ± 16 g
1 to 2 degrees accuracy
± 360 degrees on all axes
20 meters with a clear line of sight to the computing device. However, precise operating range of sensors depends on training environment.
Technical specifications: Cables General
Charging cable length
700 mm (27.6 in)
Charging cable weight
Firmware update cable length
230 mm (9.1 in)
Firmware update cable weight
USB revision 2
Expected service life
Technical specifications: Double-sided medical tape strips General
Dimensions (L x W x H)
39 x 19 x 6 mm (1.53 x 0.75 x 0.24 in)
3 years when stored at temperatures of 10 to 27°C (50 to 80°F) and a relative humidity of 40 to 60%.
Technical specifications: Bluetooth® dongle General
Dimensions (L x W)
18 mm x 14 mm (0.70 x 0.55 in)
< 2 g no condensation
Expected service life
Bluetooth Low Energy
Technical specifications: General
The device must only be used in clean, dry rooms with level floors. There must be no large ferromagnetic equipment or devices which emit electromagnetic pulses used in the same application room during training.
15 ºC to 35 ºC / 59 ºF to 95 ºF
30 % to 75 %, no condensation
700 to 1060 hPa
Packaging and Transportation
-20 ºC to 45 ºC / -4 ºF to 113 ºF (3 month maximum)
45 % to 85 %, no condensation
700 to 1060 hPa
-20 ºC to 25 °C / -4 ºF to 77 ºF (12 months maximum)
-20 ºC to 45 °C / -4 ºF to 113 ºF (3 month maximum)
45 % – 85 %, no condensation
700 to 1060 hPa
ValedoMotion must only be stored inside buildings.